Thursday, September 16, 2004

Back in Familiar Territory

Surrender, the Principle is so universal and the practice so fundamental to spiritual life that no matter what the tradition or the languaging around it, it all comes out the same. There is no escaping this one. At the root of ALL spiritual growth is surrender. Whether we're talking about the numerous scriptural examples Pastor Warren uses in Day 10, or the Bodhisattva Vow or following what Ernest Holmes declares, "The soul must make a complete surrender to the Spirit." SOM 405/4 There is no escaping this Truth.

A freind of mine reminded me yesterday of the "Law of Constraints" which is a business and manufacturing principle that states that your process will move only as fast or as easily as is allowed by your greatest constraint. I call it the "Law of the Bottleneck". There is always a bottleneck. The secret is to find it, remove it and ... then look for the next one. There is always a next one. The real secret is not to "be" the bottleneck yourself. If something is not moving in my life the way I want it to, I have found I need to look at how I'm the bottle neck and surrender to the flow of Spirit. I thought I would get really educated on Church change, implement it and then stand back and watch it work in everyone and everything around me. Yesterday God reminded me that either I would lead the change by changing myself or I would become the bottleneck to God's purpose in the Centre.

"We should endeavor to stop limiting God. The gift of Heaven is forever made. The recieving of the gift is an eternal process of forever expanding the finite. Since we cannot contract the Absolute (since I cannot make God smaller) we shall have to expand the relative" ( I must surrender my small self to action of Spirit within me) SOM 405/2

"so then my friends because of God's great love for us ... surrender yourselves as a living sacrifice holy and pleasing to God. This is right purpose." Rom. 12:1

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home