Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Purpose????

... decided to check out the Purpose Driven Life again. All those millions of firefighters and golfing women can't be wrong ... not to mention prisoners in the state pen. OhOh now I'm getting a bit nasty.

OK so I read day 1. My intention is to do all 40 days. Let's face it. Everything is about finding the hook that says .. OK yeah maybe there is something in this for me.

Well the final quote got me so I went to the New Testament and looked it up, 1 Col 16b. The quote comes out in Warren's language as "Everything got started in him and finds its purpose in him."
Well purpose is a thoroughly modern concept not found anywhere in the Bible as I knew it and so I needed to go back to the accurate? .... quote from Pauls letter, "All things were in his hand and created by him."

My guess is Warren is equating is equating the "creative act" with purpose ... that which was created was created with some purpose in the mind of the creator therefore all of creation has a purpose. This is a thoroughly biblical thought and not one unusual in metaphysical circles either. It is the next idea that gives me a bit of a problem. The purpose of life is revealed (watch it this is a key word here) in Revelation i.e. The Bible ... OUCH!

If the creative Mind knows the purpose of creation and that purpose is embedded in ALL creation then it seems to me that LIVING is the process of revealing that purpose and that the Bible and the Life of Winston Churchill and the way animals adapt to their environment and Shakespeare are all revealing how creation is revealing it's purpose. So with that said for the next 40 days i'm going to be using one tool, the scriptures, an interpreted beautifully and passionately by Pastor Warren (dont get me wrong, I love this guy) to assist me in revealing the Purpose hidden at the centre of my "pretty much" Divine Life.

Wish me luck


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home