Wednesday, September 08, 2004

day 2

OK! It's day two and I'm already in trouble. I suppose someone more orthodox than me would term this a crisis of faith but I gotta tell ya, I just cant buy all of this, God knows me, God planned me, God knew exactly where I would live and who my parents would be and how long I would live ... Frankly it is this kind of thinking that Thomas Merton was talking about when he said "the primary cause of atheism is silly theism." Ideas like the ones above from Warren's book make me crazy. That doesn't mean I think I'm an accident, or that I'm the result of a random Universe. On the contrary the purposefulness of the Universe is astounding. The march of the evolutionary process is astounding in it's complexity and beauty. I'm even inclined to agree that love ... the central flame of the Universe (Dr. Ernest Holmes) is the driving force and the purpose of life on earth. It's more like the love at the centre of a plant (The Force That through the Green Fuse Drives the Flower- Dylan Thomas-type love) than the sentimental variety that Pastor Warren postulates. All those quotes from the Psalms are comforting and I guess they are something warmer to snuggle up to on a lonely night than a cold Universe ... but it that enough to make it true? True has a really big appeal for me but I'll settle for reasonable. If this shows a lack of faith on my part ... so be it

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home