Sunday, December 05, 2004

here we go again

Seems that life or maybe living intrudes with really getting down to what works for me and that is just sitting and thinking. Then someone comes along and says. I may not be able to come to the Centre all the time but I will always check your blogs (thanks Libby). Then someone else reminds me, "you dont really need to have anything on your mind, jus' let us know what you're thinking about." So what i'm thinking about is the extrordinary success I feel with the results of our retreat. i'm thinking how the posters we have had made up with our vision and purpose and the values that are just kinda appearing "in the flesh'" and how challenging it is going to be to live them.

I'm thinking just how scary launching a founder's Program REALLY is! When studying for ministry or just talking with other ministers the financial stability of our Churches is always a topic of conversation ... just hanging there. Most time we don't talk about it or when we do, it's with knowing nods and thoughtful "hmmmmm's" . Sometimes we have even been known to say everything is great when it isn't for fear that a colleague will say "WOW! what's in your consciousness that you created that?" The truth is that if we all really believed, I mean REALLY beleived in the Ernest Holmes form of "embodied" belief all of the depth, breadth and height of this philosophy we'd all be millionaires. And we aren't are we? So there is something in my consciousness that is creating this and I'm sure as hell gonna find out what it is. If there is anything that I/we as New Thought or Religious Scientists need tro learn it's humility.

So yeah ... I WANT to believe ... that's what launches the whole enterprise for me. JFK may have said America would have a man on the moon by ...(whenever) ... and when he said it ... he probably had arrived at belief. Right now, I'm interested in the want that started the whole thing. I think it is arrogant to claim that I always believe ... arrogant and a lie. If it were true, I'd be that millionaire. Kennedy Schultz once said that a man came up and asked him to pray for him to get 6 million dollars by Tuesday. Kennedy replied "You numb scull do you think if I had enough faith to do that for you I wouldn't do it for myself first rather banging my brains out up here every Sunday . The great MAN himself had not arrived at the "launch pad" of his own prosperity. He believed in the Principle ... but didn't have enough belief to embody it. HUMILITY!

You see, Christians are doing well because they believe profoundly in their fallen state and are willing to do whatever it takes to be saved and redeemed, so attending regularly and tithing to the Church and being active in the "mission field" is a natural response to their call.

What do you do if you're already saved, redeemed and perfect? Tell yourself that "you know the Truth" and that's enough.
You know, i'm beginning to think it isn't.

We have one of the most powerful teachings there ever was and yet it is merely a reflection of the wisdom Dr. Holmes gleaned from his studies of the Vedas, the Upanishads and his conversations with Sri Aurobindo. It's not New Thought after all. The wisdom in our textbook and in the writings of the metaphysical authors like Troward and Hopkins are the keys to a freedom of mind and heart we have not even begun to imagine on this side of the world. The mystical writings of Emma Curtis Hopkins are themselves reflections on ancient mystical writings. So where does that leave us? Sometimes I feel like I'm at the controls of a 747, my ticket to anywhere I want to go and I don't know how to use it and I'm too arrogant ot ask for help.

A book is staring down @ me from the shelf above me "Running with Scissors." You wanted to know what I was thinking about

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home