Saturday, December 11, 2004

365 w/ Ernest

You witnessed me struggling with the PDL (Purpose Driven Life) for any newcomers and well ... it's time for a new direction. I admit it, I'm one of these guys who likes a bedside table book. you know one of those book you open up every morning and it has a message written just for you. I seek out books like that ... I cherish them and I refer to them over and over again. So I picked up 365 Science of Mind ... I dont know what happened to my original copy. Anyway, it's the thoughts of Ernest Holmes from his daily inspirational messages in the Science of Mind magazine over the last 70 years. The thing that impresses me most about holmes is just how widely read he was and how much knowledge he brought to the philosophy that became his way of life and the passion he eventually brought to spreading it.

On the pages for Dec 11 & 12 alone there are 5 quote from Isaiah, the Tao, John 1 and the Koran. Today ... thinking about light. I got up this morning while it was still VERY dark, mainly because the westerly wind coming up the river had whipped up some pretty impressive swells and I could feel the boat rocking and occasionally hear the bell on the forepeak striking beause of he wind.Down below, it was cold and dark snd the river wasn't even visible yet but I could hear the waves in the darkness. I think sometimes about how movement and sound all around me and even the illusion of "seeing" what is going on blind me to what really is happening in me. Holmes says "The candle of the Lord burns forever because its wick is sunk deep in the wellsprings of Reality. Channukah, is also about lights sunk deep in the wellsprings of God, inexhaustible. Sometimes it seems as if we work so hard to have what is so readily available. Sometimes I think it is looking for or concentrating on the "real" ... you know what I tell myself is really real, struggle, problems seemingly without solutions, just the daily stuff of living that wears me down.

I wonder sometimes what Holmes did when he got to places where the darkness seemed to be overtaking the light.. I know it is about faith, belief. He said today "Today I will walk in the light and my consciousness will be illuminated. My thoughts will be guided and my way guarded for I know that in my light there is no darkness."

I guess there really just has to be the tiniest of cracks allowing the light to come through for me to believe in the light again. While I was sitting staring downriver looking intently into the darkness, the run rose over my shoulder. Sure it was kind of watery and feeble and not too impressive as yet. It kind of snuck up on me in its ... hmmm ... banality. WOW!! the banality of a sunrise. That's when you know you really are overdue for an attitude adjustment. Now @ 8:43, the sunrise is glorious! "In this Divine Light, there are no shadows.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home